The lineage of the Gabiria was one of the most celebrated in Gipuzkoa.

They played a major part in the feudal conflict between the warring factions, la guerra de bandos, in the 14th and 15th centuries.

It is more than likely that the original tower was somewhere in the vicinity, possibly higher up on the nearby hillside. In the second half of the 15th century, the family built a new tower closer to the river, and its remains can still be seen beside the palace. During the 16th century, the Gabiria Tower was remodelled and enlarged, giving the austere medieval building a more palatial air.

Finally, following the work undertaken in the first half of the 17th century, the building was stripped of any of the ornamentation typical of the Baroque. This was when the main façade acquired its present appearance. The ornament is focused on the doors and windows of delicate surfaces and on the wooden and cast-iron fittings.

At the same time (1634), the magnificent coat of arms on the corner was added.